Dr. Sawyer has published widely in scholarly journals, edited volumes, and influential handbooks and encyclopedias — a total of over 120 articles.
This list includes a representative sample of Dr. Sawyer's articles. Some are available for PDF download. For a complete listing of publications, see his vita.
- Fostering creative performance in art and design education via self-regulated learning. Instructional Science.
- Teaching and learning how to create in schools of art and design. Journal of the Learning Sciences.
- The role of failure in learning how to create in art and design. Thinking Skills and Creativity.
- Teaching creativity in art and design studio classes: A systematic literature review. Educational Research Review.
- A call to action: The challenges of creative teaching and learning. Teachers College Record.
- The future of learning. The Cambridge Handbook of the Learning Sciences, Second Edition.
- How to transform schools to foster creativity. Teachers College Record.
- The cognitive neuroscience of creativity: A critical review. Creativity Research Journal.
- Distributed Creativity: How Collective Creations Emerge from Collaboration. Journal of Aesthetics, Creativity, and the Arts.
- Educating for innovation. Thinking Skills and Creativity.
- Study group discourse: How external representations affect collaborative conversation. Linguistics and Education.
- Social explanation and computational simulation. Philosophical Explorations.
- The mechanisms of emergence. Philosophy of the Social Sciences.
- Improvised lessons: Collaborative discussion in the constructivist classroom. Teaching Education.
- Creative teaching: Collaborative discussion as disciplined improvisation. Educational Researcher.
- Nonreductive individualism, Part II: Social causation. Philosophy of the Social Sciences.
- Improvisation and narrative. Narrative Inquiry.
- Artificial societies: Multi agent systems and the micro-macro link in sociological theory. Sociological Methods and Research.
- Nonreductive individualism, Part I: Supervenience and wild disjunction. Philosophy of the Social Sciences.
- Unresolved tensions in sociocultural theory: Analogies with contemporary sociocultural debates. Culture & Psychology.
- Durkheim's dilemma: Toward a sociology of emergence. Sociological Theory.
- Emergence in psychology: Lessons from the history of non-reductionist science. Human Development.
- A discourse on discourse: An archeological history of an intellectual concept. Cultural Studies.
- Emergence in sociology: Contemporary philosophy of mind and some implications for sociological theory. American Journal of Sociology.
- Improvisation and the creative process: Dewey, Collingwood, and the aesthetics of spontaneity. The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, 58 (2), 149-161.
- The emergence of creativity. Philosophical Psychology, 12 (4), 447-469.
- Improvisational conversations: Music, collaboration, and development. Psychology of Music, 27, 192-205.
- The interdisciplinary study of creativity in performance. The Creativity Research Journal, 11, 11-19.
- Improvisational theater. An ethnotheory of conversational practice. In Creativity in Performance.
- Role voicing, gender, and age in preschool play discourse. Discourse Processes, 22, 287-305.
- The semiotics of improvisation: The pragmatics of musical and verbal performance. Semiotica, 108, (3/4), 269-306.
- Creativity as mediated action: A comparison of improvisational performance and product creativity. Mind, Culture, and Activity, 2, 172-191.
- A developmental model of heteroglossic improvisation in children's fantasy play. Sociological Studies of Children, 7, 127-153.
- The pragmatics of play: Interactional strategies during children's pretend play. Pragmatics, 3, 259-282.
- Improvisational creativity: An analysis of jazz performance. Creativity Research Journal, 5, 253-263.